- What exactly is a singing telegram ?
Singing telegrams are more than just a quick song, they are interactive comedy and musical performances. Most of the time the entertainer is playing a character in a costume, like a cop, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, a nurse, etc., though we also offer the Classic Tux or the Elegant Lady. The entertainers banter and do a comedy skit, interacting with the recipient and the crowd. The act builds to a special song or two for the occasion. They end the show by leading the audience in a familiar tune together, such as “Happy Birthday” or “He’s a Jolly Good Fellow,” depending on the celebration.
- How long is the performance?
- Singing telegrams are usually around 5 to 10 minutes in total. Depending on the character, and how interactive the audience and recipient are, they could be a little longer or a little shorter. Believe us, when you’re the recipient in the “hot seat” 10 minutes feels like a looooooong time!
- Where can you do a singing telegram?
- All of our performances are family oriented and safe for work. We go to all types of places: offices, restaurants, community centers, schools, homes, etc. Please just make sure that you have permission from the establishment (especially schools and restaurants) and that there’s a contact person on site for the performer.
- When can you do a singing telegram?
Our entertainers work 365 days a year, and generally are available from 9am-11pm. To see who is available at the time you want, simply enter the location, the date, and arrival window time in the search area on the home page.
- How does the entertainer find the recipient?
- It’s super important that there’s a contact person on site. The entertainer will get that person’s name and number through the order form so they can coordinate on finding the victim, er, we mean, recipient.
- What is the role of the contact person?
- The contact person needs to be on site and reachable by the entertainer. The entertainer will call or text the contact person when they arrive at the location. The contact person helps coordinate the show, for example, at an office, they would gather the audience and get the recipient in position. They can also help direct the entertainer if the location is tricky or they need someone to escort them in.
- What kind of personal info about the recipient do you need?
- We do our best to customize each performance by incorporating personal info about the recipient into our banter. The entertainers work these tidbits into their act to make it feel that much more special. Information that works well: nicknames, hobbies, funny anecdotes, inside jokes, likes, dislikes, anything they might be famous for, anything you want to honor or acknowledge them for, etc.
- What cities and metro areas do you serve?
- We currently serve the Los Angeles and Orange County metro areas, from Thousand Oaks to San Clemente, Ontario to Santa Monica, and all cities in between. We have entertainers located all over the LA and OC areas. Search results will show you those closest to your location, as well as entertainers who can travel to your location (travel fees may apply). We will soon be opening locations in Houston, Dallas, New York, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Miami, Boston, Denver, and Seattle.
- What is the Arrival Window?
- Performers need at least a 1-hour window for their arrival time to your event or special occasion. If you have more flexibility on timing, you’ll see more options in the search results. The entertainers really appreciate longer arrival windows. For example, if you’re sending to an office and you know the recipient will be there all afternoon, we appreciate a longer arrival window, like 1-4pm. Another example, if your party starts at 7pm, you might want to set your arrival window for 9-10pm so that your guests have time to arrive and get settled in with a drink. For dinner reservations, we suggest your arrival window starts at least a half an hour after your reservation, so that you can get seated and place your orders before the entertainer arrives. Remember, guests are often late and you don’t want to have your entertainer arrive before everyone is seated! We recognize that there are sometimes circumstances where it’s not possible to give a full hour arrival window. In those cases, it’s important to message the entertainers through the website to confirm that a shorter arrival window will work for them.
- Are there additional travel fees?
- Many of our entertainers are willing to travel beyond their regular service area (20 mile radius) for a modest fee. We assess the fee at $2 per mile beyond 20 miles, with a minimum fee of $10.
- What is the Cancellation and Rescheduling Policy?
Cancellation and Rescheduling Policy
We recognize that sometimes plans change and we will do our best to be flexible. That said, we do need to honor that our entertainers are in demand. When the entertainers accept a booking, they block their schedules, and that means that they aren’t available at that time for other bookings.
When the order status is “Pending,” you can make changes to the booking information or the date and time (pending availability). You can also cancel with no fee.
When the order status is “Confirmed” and you want to cancel, our policy takes into account how much advance notice you’ve given.
Up until the time of the show, you can make changes to any info (i.e. contact person, card message, etc.) that does not affect the location, timing, or character choice.
With 48+ hours notice, rescheduling and cancellation is possible, with no fee. Please note if changing the date or time, we will do our best, but we cannot guarantee availability.
With 24-48 hours notice, you can:
Reschedule the same character for no fee, for any time the character is available.
Pay 50% character cancellation fee to cancel. Pre-paid tips, add-on gift charges, and travel fees are refunded.
With less than 24 hours notice, you can:
Reschedule the same character for no fee, for any time the character is available.
Cancel with no refund on the cost of the character, and no refund for the add-on gift charges. Pre-paid tips and travel fees are refunded.
- The character I ordered is not available, what can I do now?
- We do our best to make sure that search results show only characters that are actually available at the specific time you’re trying to book. Occasionally schedules change last minute, or the performer gets booked right at the same time you’re trying to book. In that case, we offer you options for other characters who are available. You can also choose to cancel and get a refund.
- What is your tipping policy?
- Just like with any other service, tipping is voluntary and totally up to you. Our performers definitely appreciate tips and, for your convenience, you have the option to take care of it via credit card at the time you place the order. You are also free to tip in person with cash. It’s customary to tip similar to how you tip a server in a restaurant. Most people give a 15-20% gratuity, but again, it’s up to your discretion.
- How much advance notice do I need?
- We do our absolute best to accommodate same day orders with at least 3 hours notice. Searching for your location and arrival window will show you all of the options that are available. Of course, the more advance notice you give, the greater the chances are that you will find your ideal entertainer.
- Do the entertainers bring their own equipment?
- Most of the characters perform a capella, so they don’t require any special equipment. If the entertainer does need music, he or she will bring everything they need. If you have a really large crowd and want everyone to be able to hear, we recommend that you provide a microphone for the entertainer.
- Will the performer and costume be exactly as pictured?
- Unlike other singing telegram companies, when you book with Singing Telegrams Now, the photos of the characters in the site are the actual performers in their actual costumes. Occasionally there might be slight differences (a different colored boa, the actor got a haircut, etc.) but you can rest assured that you’re getting the person you saw online!
- Can the entertainer bring flowers, balloons, or other add-ons?
- Absolutely! We offer flowers, balloons, and teddy bears that you can add right on the order form. The entertainers can also present your gifts or a cake you arrange, so long as you or the contact person give the item to the performer when they arrive on site.
- What songs do you do? Can I request a song?
- We have original, novelty songs for all occasions. They are quite funny and cute, if we do say so ourselves! Some characters, like celebrity inspired acts, do songs the celebrity is known for. Think, “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” for Marilyn or “Hound Dog” for Elvis. While we can’t guarantee that the entertainer will know or be able to do a special request song, we always try our best. Once you have placed the order, you can message the entertainer and ask for your song. Usually if there’s enough advanced notice, they are happy to do your request.
- Can I take photos or video of the performance?
- Of course! And we would love for you to post them and tag us! @SingingTelegramsNow in all the usual spots--Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Can someone video the performance for me?
- At this time we don’t offer video services, but we do allow you to take your own video. If you do, please post them and tag us! @SingingTelegramsNow in all the usual spots--Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Can I pay in cash at the time of delivery?
- Singing Telegrams Now is the only on-demand, instant booking singing telegram service in the world (and possibly the universe!) and as such, we can only accept online payments via credit card at the time of booking.
- Can I have two or more entertainers perform together?
- Each act is it’s own self-contained package. If you want more than one character, we recommend you book them to arrive back to back.
- Will the entertainers do anything lewd or crude? Is it safe for work?
- All of our shows are family friendly and safe for work. Our entertainers do not use profanity, nor do they make any off-color jokes or touch anyone inappropriately. Depending on the character, they may occasionally make more mature jokes or innuendo, but it’s all in good fun, and no one should feel icky about anything. If you need an act to be ultra clean or conservative, make sure you communicate that in the order form, and be sure to message your performer though the site.
- What guarantee do I have that the entertainer will show up?
- We carefully screen all of our talent and we only work with only reliable, professional entertainers. They will definitely show up and do a stellar job. You can count on us to deliver! Entertainers aim to get to the location on the early side of the arrival window, but sometimes the traffic is worse than expected, there’s an accident, etc., and the performer could be delayed. If that happens, they will be in touch and let you know what’s going on. On the very rare occasion that an entertainer can’t make it (a car accident, a snowstorm, an illness) we will communicate as soon as is possible. There are always situations that are beyond our control, but the performer will call you, and we’ll do our best to find you a replacement. If it’s not possible, you will, of course, be fully refunded and offered a discount on a future booking.
- Can I send a singing telegram for any occasion?
- Pretty much, yes! Singing telegrams are awesome for birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, weddings, promotions, holidays, or just because. If you can send a greeting card, you can send a singing telegram. We are in the business of spreading joy! That means we are happy to deliver singing telegrams for positive occasions, and even as an apology, but we don’t do mean or angry telegrams. We won’t do any “screw you” type telegrams for ex-bosses, ex-boyfriends/girlfriends, etc.
- How do I make a special request for the entertainer to say or do something specific?
- You can add any requests to your booking on the order form page under “additional notes”. Please be aware that our performers will not do anything lewd or crude.
- How do I make changes to an order?
- Go to “My Bookings” and click “edit”. You can make changes to any of the info there. If you need to make a scheduling change, whether we will be able to accommodate that will depend on performer availability. Please see our rescheduling and cancellation policy for more details.
- How do I communicate with my entertainer before the show?
- Go to “My Bookings” and click on the Message button. There you can start chatting with your entertainer. We don’t give out our entertainer’s phone numbers, but you can use the messaging system on the site to ask them to call you.